Over *29 Million Clicks* and Counting! Thank *YOU* for being *ONE* of them!

[ HOME ] [ NEW MOVIE TV SCHEDULE 2024 ] [ MOVIE REVIEWS ] [ TV MOVIE LIST ]
[ CHRISTMAS TV SCHEDULE 2024 ] [ CHRISTMAS STORY ] [ CHRISTMAS MOVIE LIST ]
[ CHRISTMAS MOVIES ON DVD - 2023 ] [ TV MOVIES ON DVD - 2024 ] [ CONTACT ]

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights...”
~ James 1:17

Monday, January 2, 2023

Happy 2023, as I'm still Unwrapping 2022 Christmas Movies...




Hello, Friends! Happy New Year, 2023, everyone! Officially! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I was able to enjoy some downtime and watch some more Christmas movies this past week and write up some reviews (see below) on some of the movies I’ve watched recently.

I know many of us are still catching up on our Christmas movie watching, so please feel free to share a review of any of the new 2022 Christmas movies you are watching.

It’s been a mix for me this 2022 Christmas season – of movies I liked and movies I didn’t. But I still have many to go!

On Great American Family, the new Christmas movies I’ve watched, that they produced, have all been wonderful, in my opinion… A Christmas… Present, A Merry Christmas Wish, Christmas on Candy Cane Lane, etc. Some of the movies they acquired, however, have not exactly been my favorites: Christmas Sweethearts, A Royal Christmas on Ice, etc. I know they are doing their best to build their library of films, but I feel those acquired movies don’t truly reflect the quality of the network. If they can produce more of their own movies in the future, then I know they will be successful. Bill Abbott (former CEO of Hallmark and now the CEO of Great American Media) was instrumental in the building process of what Hallmark is today, so I know he will be triumphant with Great American Family, as well. It’s just going to take a little time.

Variety recently released an article that mentioned the channels that grew significantly in 2022, and Great American Family was one of them! So that is good news! Plus, Great American Family is excellent at listening to their viewers – you can always share which movies you liked and didn’t like on their website here. (It’s very important to participate in this, as this will surely determine which movies we see or don’t see on their channel in the future.)

As for the other networks, I’ve also been mixed on the movies I liked and didn’t like this year on Hallmark and UPtv, as well. There are always hits and misses every year, that’s to be expected. And I’ve noticed I’m quite behind on my Lifetime Christmas movie watching, so I’ll be diving into those soon.

How are you all coming along with your Christmas movie-watching? Is your DVR still full like mine? I’ll surely be “dashing through the snow” late into Spring! (haha!)

Anyway, here are my latest Christmas movie reviews…


๐ŸŽ„ Christmas at the Drive-In – This was a fun, unique, family-friendly story! I liked the tension between Sadie (Danica McKellar) and Holden (Neal Bledsoe) and how they both had unresolved issues and feelings from the past. Not sure about an outdoor drive-in theater during winter in real-life (brrr!!!), but it sure looked pretty on screen with all the decorated trees and Christmas lights around. Plus, I liked the nostalgia and history of the drive-in theater and how these characters fought so hard to save it. The movie brought to mind my own sweet personal memories from the past at the drive-in, and I’m sure it will do the same for others. Christmas at the Drive-In was an enjoyable watch with a feel-good, happy ending. ~Net


๐ŸŽ„ Christmas Lover’s Anonymous – This movie is family-friendly, but rather cheesy, at times. I tried to get into it, but just couldn’t do so. The story concept was interesting – about a writer who is tired of being pushed into doing all sorts of activities EVERY Christmas and writes the book, Just Say No to Ho, Ho, Ho. Well, her book becomes very popular and basically traps her into having a public persona of NOT doing Christmas at all. And then, the trouble comes when she realizes how much she misses doing Christmassy things. Overall, it’s a sweet, wholesome movie, but not a keeper for me. ~Net


๐ŸŽ„ Christmas Sweethearts – I must admit, I didn’t care for this movie. Some of the characters act rather strange, at times. The lead girl acted superior to everyone else and took her best guy friend for granted all throughout the movie. It was painful to watch her tell him she actually had feelings for him near the end after basically treating him like a doormat the entire time he was pretending to be her boyfriend. One bright spot: It was delightful to see Beth Broderick (Romance at Reindeer Lodge, Christmas Town) in this, but her role was too small to save it. This was not a keeper for me. ~Net


๐ŸŽ„ I'm Glad it's Christmas – This is a family-friendly, delightful movie. I thought Jessica Lowndes and Paul Greene were great together; they have such a natural chemistry on-screen. Paul Greene’s character, Jason Murphy, is sadly divorced, and his adorable, cheerful daughter, Angela, lives with him, off and on. Jessica Lowndes plays the role of the struggling wannabe Broadway actress well, and all of the singing was beautiful with her, Paul Greene, and Gladys Knight. I especially liked the scene where Cora Lawson (Gladys) teaches Chloe and Jason to sing from the heart. The new Christmas song, “Christmas Feels like Falling in Love,” is lovely and very catchy. In fact, I’m still humming it! Overall, “I'm Glad it's Christmas” is an upbeat, entertaining movie, and there’s, of course, a happy ending! ~Net


๐ŸŽ„ My Southern Family Christmas – This movie was refreshingly different. I like how the story and the setting were mostly unique for Christmas movies. It was also nice to see Wes Brown have a cameo in this. Too bad he couldn’t be in the part of the story where Campbell went to Louisiana, since he’s actually from there in real-life, and I know those Southern traditions and customs mean a great deal to him. Some drawbacks for me, personally – the shouting of the Christmas alligators or reingators (the southern version of reindeers) was a little odd to me, and was it really ever explained WHY her father divorced her Mother and neither kept in contact regarding their daughter??? Very strange. Plus, WHEN exactly did he see her last? Did he not recognize her, at all? Had she really changed that much? Other than those questions I found myself asking – the movie was rather captivating. It moved at a nice pace, and the romance portion was low-key, but sweet. Watching Everett connect with Campbell, with him not realizing she was his daughter, was interesting and painfully awkward, too, since so many people knew the truth, including his wife. It was suspenseful – wondering how the truth would eventually be revealed, and all I’ll say is… I thought it was done in a sweet way, although it was all summed up rather quickly. If you live down south and enjoy a warm Christmas, then this might appeal more to you. I thought Jaicy Elliot was excellent, but overall, there were many unanswered questions. Not a keeper for me, but still a nice watch. ~Net


๐ŸŽ„ In Merry Measure – I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! I loved the delightful, fun relationship between the sisters, and the aunt and niece. The romance was slow and steady; you could feel a spark building between Darcy (Patti Murin) and Adam (Brendan Penny) as their choir groups competed each other and as they combined their teams. All of the singing was beautiful to listen to; I simply enjoyed how happy this movie was from start to finish. One of my favorite scenes was when Patty Murin played the piano and sang an original song. Patty has such a lovely voice; I couldn’t help from cheering for her to succeed throughout the film, even though her character, Darcy, hasn’t had much success in the music industry since her pop album in her youth. It was nice to see her struggle a bit to keep herself current and relevant in that ever-changing entertainment world. Even though her character was/is famous, she seems very normal and at home in her small town. I loved the quick nod to Home Alone – when Darcy and her sister, Gretchen, put their hands on their cheeks and shouted, “Ahhh!!!!” That was soooo cute. This movie seemed so down-to-earth and relatable. This is a definite keeper I plan to watch over and over again. ~Net


๐ŸŽ„ Inventing the Christmas Prince – I must say this one took a little effort to get into, but once the story developed, it was interesting to watch Shelby’s boss, Evan, come out of his reserved shell and step into the role of the Christmas Prince. Evan is someone who has never connected well with people. In his job, as a scientist, he deals with facts and figures, so he seems very disconnected from human behavior, until Shelby’s daughter awakens this new world of emotions for him. Shelby sees and likes this new transformation in Evan, as well. The movie is kind of odd and quirky, at times, but it’s also a unique story with a heartwarming message. Inventing the Christmas Prince is family-friendly, a great watch for all ages. By the way, the little girl is absolutely precious – she often steals the show! ~Net


๐ŸŽ„ A Maple Valley Christmas – I wanted to love this movie due to the gorgeous outdoor setting, but it just didn’t work for me. The unexpected kiss (between strangers) near the beginning of the movie completely threw me for a loop, and I thought the romance in general, was too instant. The quarreling between the sisters, off and on, was also irritating, at times. Then, the mother, who ran the maple farm solely for years, suddenly wanted to leave the country and her family and have no part in the business any more. Plus, the family has been waiting 30 YEARS to re-purchase land they had lost and now the sister doesn’t know if she wants it, and the mother has no say in it. Are you kidding me? As farmers, my family and I know how precious land is. God isn’t making any more of it. It’s especially important if it’s connected to your land, as this property is in the movie. I also agree with others, that the prayer(?) near the end didn’t seem quite right. No one closed their eyes in reverence, and it ended with Merry Christmas, instead of Amen. Very strange. Overall, the movie is family-friendly, but it’s not a keeper for me. ~Net


๐ŸŽ„ A Christmas Masquerade – I found this movie’s concept to be somewhat unbelievable. One woman, Julianne, attends a Christmas masquerade ball pretending to be her friend, Lara, who is supposedly well-known on social media. Julianne keeps up this charade throughout the movie, pretending to be her friend, and it’s hard to believe no one knows what Lara looks like and that Julianne is obviously not her. Perhaps, if they looked similar, it could've worked, but the two don’t look a thing alike. I tried to get into this movie, but just couldn’t do so. The bright spot for me was Julianne’s daughter, Nora, who is probably around 10 years old and is absolutely adorable; I hope we see her in more things – her giggle was infectious. I agree with Jane’s review regarding Lara, who babysits Nora for a few days, and suddenly decides she wants to have a baby. There’s no man in Lara’s life, that we are aware of, and no explanation on how she plans to do this. So, the idea is just kinda thrown out there. Anyway, this movie wasn’t a keeper for me, but I found it to be family-friendly. ~Net


๐ŸŽ„ The Christmas Retreat – This movie was such a fun one to watch! I enjoyed the chemistry between Kim (Rhiannon Fish) and Mark (Clayton James). In the beginning, Kim has a boyfriend, Stephen, who she is hoping will propose, but he breaks up with her because she works too much. This causes Kim to take some time off for the holiday and accept her mother’s invitation to join her at a Christmas Retreat. Kim runs into Mark at the retreat; this is the second time their paths have crossed. Kim is doing her best to impress her ex by taking time off from work and enjoying the retreat, but she also starts to develop feelings for Mark. The various activities and games at the retreat were amusing to watch, and the romance was very sweet. This movie was a keeper for me; in my opinion, it’s one of the best this year on UPtv. ~Net


๐ŸŽ„ Christmas with Felicity – This family-friendly movie isn’t really unique or spectacular, but it’s simple and sweet, an enjoyable watch. I liked that most of the movie took place in the small fictional town of Aspen Grove. Felicity’s bakery has failed in Chicago, so she returns home to her family and starts baking there. Her niece helps her build an online shop, and James, a local farmer, shares his booth with her at the Christmas fair. As Felicity settles into life in Aspen Grove at Christmastime, she is torn between two men, her ex from Chicago and James, who is such a nice guy, who is helpful and kind, and I couldn’t help from noticing, he smiles all the time. This lighthearted movie has a happy ending and leaves you feeling good inside. ~Net


And, if you’d like to check out more insightful and wonderful reviews of the 2022 Christmas movies from the It’s a Wonderful Movie family – please click here!

Also, I would love to hear from you! Please share your movie reviews in comments.

God's blessings to you all in this New Year ahead as we reflect on the past and look forward to a bright future!

Happy movie watching, Net

23 comments:

  1. I have to say that there were some movies that I did enjoy--My Southern Family Christmas was different and I can say it was enjoyable. I do not care for Neal Bledsoe and will not watch any of the movies that he is part of. I did like the movie with Victor Webster and Rachael Boston. I liked the Maple Valley Christmas and agree with you regarding the younger sister and her attitude about not sure if they should purchase the land.
    It is sad to have the holiday movies off now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suburban Prep, Same here! I am already missing the Christmas movies, too! It's always a shock to the system when they cut them off all at once.

      Hallmark will, once again, be bringing us two Christmas movies every week... Thursdays on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and Fridays on the Hallmark Channel. Unfortunately, I don't see any Christmas movies currently scheduled on Great American Family for January. Maybe they'll surprise us sometime.

      Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these movies. Blessings and Happy New Year to you!!!

      Delete
    2. 2022 Christmas Movies. I agree with previous comments. To me it was one of the least interesting years for movies. A lot of repetition in story lines past and present. A lot very predictable. It’s almost like you wish you could take the good parts of different ones and make one great one. I guess if you look back on the many years of movies it is harder to be original. Thanks to all who had warnings on ones to stay away from

      Delete
    3. Jim, You said it so well. It does feel like BAM, it's gone. How does that 2 months of Christmas movies always seem to go by so quickly? Thankfully, I recorded a bunch of old Christmas movies this year, and I find myself skipping live TV, and watching the movies I have recorded. Yesterday it was Love Always, Santa. Wow, that movie is phenomenal! Somehow, there are just a hand-full of characters and yet, this powerful story always draws me right in.

      And, yes... my Christmas tree is still up and shining brightly! I'm definitely not ready to take it down, yet. I think everyone should do what feels right for them, and my family and I are still enjoying it, so it will stay up a little longer.... or more... We'll see! ๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„

      Delete
    4. Whats funny about Christmas Thursdays and Fridays, are b February, there are already repeats. They are playing The Holiday Stocking in January and in Feb on HM channel. Not sure why they can't pick another movie, but I guess they figure if they play a movie with bad ratings it will get better.

      Also they are playing Maple Valley on HM and HMM They have 100's upon 100's of movies, why play the same movie twice? And in the 1st 2 months of the year?

      This is why I dont tune in for Christmas Thursdays or Fridays as they are usually the same moves and all new, or last year they played Christmas In My heart 4 times, yes, 4 times. Why? Probably because HM has an agenda nowadays.

      I only watched a handful of movies this year. I saved many on my DVR, I just havent got into wanting to watch them. Some I want to really watch like the GAC movies, and I am always busy and dont have time to sit down for hours to watch. I am sure I will soon.

      The best movie for me so far: Merry Swissmas. I loved that movie and saved it. I liked #Xmas too, but didnt save it. Some of the UPtv movies were just too dumb. I wanted to like the Christmas Retreat but it was very annoying and i couldn't finish it.

      I havent seen one single Wedding Veil movie, but it is quite obvious that LC character in the new movie is pregnant. I dont know how it could be more obvious from the commercials. I just havent been able to get into her movies for a long time and didnt care to watch any of those movies. Tried the dog movie from this past weekend, but it was pretty bad. Will try the Glacier park movie as I like CWW directed movies. Some of the feb movies look good. Guess we shall see.

      Sabrina

      Delete
    5. Sabrina, You are soooo right. There are lots of repeats when it comes to the Thursday and Friday Christmas movies. Plus, I noticed most of the Christmas movies they are playing are new from 2022. I believe there is only one scheduled, so far, that is older.

      Thank you also for sharing your thoughts on the Christmas movies. It's always great to hear different opinions.

      Hope you can watch some of the Great American Family movies soon. My advice is to watch the ones they made, and not the ones they obtained, except Destined at Christmas is good and My Favorite Christmas Tree is okay, kind of slow, but still intriguing.

      Happy New Year to you, my friend! :)

      Delete
  2. My DVR is packed full! I'm not sure how or when I'll be able to watch them all, but I'm thankful to you Net and all the reviews from everyone you post here. It's makes it a whole lot easier to decide what to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean... I'm beyond grateful to everyone who visits here and shares a review with us. It is my joy to be able to share them all. Happy Christmas movie watching to you!

      Blessings & Happy New Year, 2023!

      Delete
  3. Oooh.. many of the movies you reviewed there I haven’t watched! Thank you for those, Net. I need to check out if I had Christmas Retreat ever got recorded in my DVR. I am bummed to miss that.


    Here are some that I watched recently…

    A CHRISTMAS… PRESENT

    I finally got a chance to watch this. Wow, if there’s a Christmas movie that speaks to me the most, it would be this. I am a Type A planner mom so I can totally relate to CCB’s character (Maggie), and my husband is a jokester. The issues and the storyline in this movie are simple but just very real-life. Love all the Bible verses and the faith filled messages. Love the message of being present. The ending was touching. It’s definitely more family oriented movies, instead of romance. For me I think it’s the best movie GAC has put out this year.


    GHOST OF CHRISTMAS ALWAYS

    Going into this I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I guess the best way to enjoy this movie is by keeping an open mind and knowing it’s not your regular Hallmark movies. I do really like it when I don’t know how the story would end… since that doesn’t happen often in Hallmark movies. I’m not sure how I felt about the magic element, but I guess that was a given, knowing that it’s inspired by the Charles Dicken’s story. That said, the movie was so engaging and I was invested to watch from beginning to end. Loved both leads which were new to me. Even though the storyline was unrealistic, the flow of the story and the way it was written made it felt natural. Even my husband agreed he quite enjoyed this one. Really well done by Hallmark.


    CHRISTMAS IN TOYLAND

    I’m not sure if this is included in the review page, as I think this was one of the “Christmas in July” movies. I do really liked this one. The female lead was new to me but she was very likable and had a great chemistry with Jesse Hutch. It was a really cute and fun Christmas movie with some cliches mixed in, and it was quite enjoyable to watch.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CH Mom, Thank you for sharing these wonderful reviews with us! So good to hear how much you enjoyed A Christmas... Present and Ghost of Christmas Always. I think I recorded Ghost, but was unsure about it. Your review made me curious to check it out sometime.

      Also, you are right, Christmas in Toyland did air during Christmas in July, so I posted your review on that post, here:
      https://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2022/06/hallmarks-5-new-july-movies-including.html

      Delete
  4. I feel like Frosty coming back to life! What a busy time! Happy New Year everyone!

    Not sure this is a word but if it is, I was underwhelmed by the Christmas movies this season. There were maybe 5 that I would watch again. Of course, there are so many left to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Net, those candles you have displayed here, are so beautiful. I ordered both kinds and I love them! Thanks for displaying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kitkat, That's wonderful! I'm so glad you liked them, too. I have many battery operated candles around my home. My Christmas dรฉcor is still up for now, but when it comes down, I love having the glow of these candles around.

      I'm sure they will be beautiful lighting up your home!

      Delete
  6. GAF put out a very nice ratings update today on Twitter. :) -Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, Yes, that was such great news! I just posted Great American Family's press release here:
      https://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2023/01/congrats-great-american-family-for.html

      I'm so happy for this wonderful network!

      Delete
  7. Jim, Thank you for sharing this link. I'm so happy to see so many well-known TV sources share this awesome news!

    I'm so thrilled for Great American Family! I pray this means bigger and brighter things ahead in 2023!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish the channels would just air maybe 5 really great, warm feeling shows. I remember the Christmas movies a Smokey Mountain Christmas, an Unlikely Angel, Christmas heart, lifetimes best version of a Christmas Carol Ebbie, the Christmas movies with an Angel named Max, Comfort and Joy. There are others that I watched growing up that I enjoy still just can’t think of their names right now. Over the years I have watched probably all the family friendly Christmas movies on Hallmark, Lifetime, Up, Ion, Insp. And not many stand out. I think it’s because they make too many of them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! Would be nice if someone aired some of the nostalgic Christmas movies from our youth. I would love that, too!

      Delete
  9. Will you be doing a 2023 DVD release post like you’ve done in years passed? I’ve always bookmark the post for that year and check it throughout the year to make sure I don’t miss any releases :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayla, Thank you for your sweet comment. Yes, I am doing the DVD release post again this year.

      (Hint: Be sure to look for it next week!)

      Delete
  10. The Dog Lover’s Guide to Dating is family about Simon believes Chloe is the girl of his dreams, but he can’t seem to win over her beloved pup named Simon. He soon enlists a dog trainer named Alex & finds himself wondering where his real connection might be. Alex & her dog named Radar. Simon has another roommate & partner is a dog at the end of the movie

    ReplyDelete

Please COMMENT and share your thoughts on Movies and More...

You may comment by using an Account, Name, or by choosing Anonymous! (If you pick Name, you can add your name, nickname, initials, or favorite handle! You can also leave the URL space blank, if you do not have a web-site.)

Whatever you choose, I enjoy hearing from you! Blessings, Net