Over *29 Million Clicks* and Counting! Thank *YOU* for being *ONE* of them!

[ HOME ] [ NEW MOVIE TV SCHEDULE 2024 ] [ MOVIE REVIEWS ] [ TV MOVIE LIST ]
[ CHRISTMAS TV SCHEDULE 2024 ] [ CHRISTMAS STORY ] [ CHRISTMAS MOVIE LIST ]
[ CHRISTMAS MOVIES ON DVD - 2023 ] [ TV MOVIES ON DVD - 2024 ] [ CONTACT ]

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights...”
~ James 1:17

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hallmark Movie: The Color of Rain


MOVIE REVIEW


The Color of Rain


Network: Hallmark Movie Channel

Original Air Date: May 31, 2014


Network: Hallmark Channel

Original Air Date: August 23, 2014

*This Hallmark TV Movie is based on the New York Times bestseller, "The Color of Rain" by Michael and Gina Spehn.








CAST:

Lacey Chabert ... Gina Kell
Warren Christie ... Michael Spehn
Alex Zahara ... Pastor Karl
Lisa Durupt ... Colleen
Sean Michael Kyer ... Sam
Seth Isaac Johnson ... Drew
Alison Thornton ... Charlotte
Logan Williams ... Jack
Callum Airlie ... Danny







PLOT:

via Hallmark Press Release:

After cancer claims Matt Kell's life on Christmas Day 2005, his widow, Gina (Chabert) and two young boys are left to cope with the pain of his loss while their close church community gathers around them for support. Wanting to be close to her kids, Gina starts to volunteer at their elementary school and meets the Spehn children, Jack, Danny and Charlotte. In a gut-wrenching coincidence, just weeks after Matt's death, the Spehn's mom, Cathy, also suddenly succumbs to cancer, leaving her distraught husband, Michael (Christie), to care for their three kids on his own. Sensing the hopelessness in Michael she so recently saw in herself, Gina reaches out to Michael and his kids and the two families begin to forge an unlikely friendship and close bond.

Over the year that follows, their lives become intertwined as they learn to lean on each other - during the at-times insurmountable obstacles, tears and adversity - and begin to heal with laughter, compassion and faith. As Gina and Michael realize their newfound friendship is so much more, they struggle against some surprising resistance from their families and community to unite their two grieving families as one and eventually learn to open their hearts to love again.







Movie Review:


Like lightning striking twice, "The Color of Rain" is a powerful story of loss, life, and finding love again.


When Michael Spehn and Gina Kell lose their spouses weeks apart, it's as if a dark cloud has come over them, until they find the comfort they seek, in their children and in their new friendship. Although Michael and Gina don't know each other well, at first, they do know exactly how the other feels. As they share their grief, the children also enjoy being together, and it seems they easily become like family.

Gina helps Michael with common Motherly tasks: such as cooking and laundry, and Michael helps Gina's sons build bunk beds.

The future ahead appears to be bright and sunny as all seems to be going along fine for the Spehn and Kell family until friends and family start to question their friendship/relationship being too much too soon.

As Christmas approaches, they both feel pressured to cool their relationship, so they decide to spend the Holidays apart. The Spehn family goes away at Christmas, however they have a change of heart, and decide to return home, at the last minute, for the Christmas Pageant.

In the end, will Michael and Gina, both decide to follow their own hearts?

Along the way, Gina had been looking for a sign and Michael reminds her of the double rainbow they saw together - the promise of a colorful life ahead.

"The Color of Rain" is a beautiful story of finding hope through the storms of life.



See or Skip:

See. It's a lovely movie.


(Please note: This story does involve the death of a spouse and parent, so it may not be suitable for young viewers.)



Warren Christie and Lacey Chabert
--

*The small images of Warren Christie and Lacey Chabert (above) are via their Hallmark Channel Movies: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year and Elevator Girl.

*"The Color of Rain" is a LaCanada/Lighthouse Pictures Production.



52 comments:

  1. Oh, this movie sounds great and I can't wait! June of 2014 seems like such a long time, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an old friend of Gina's and her deceased husband, Matt. We miss Matt so much, but we are so happy for Gina. Telling their story is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes I cant wait to see this beautiful true story. Looks like great actors also. Lacey sure looks like Jennifer Love Hewitt enough to be her sister. Hallmark thanks for great shows. Coco

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your review of The Color of Rain. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fan of both Lacey Chabert and Warren Christie, can't wait to see "The Color of Rain", I hope this airs on the other Hallmark Channel in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got your wish! The Color of Rain will air August 23 on the Hallmark Channel.

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to it!

      Delete
  6. ok this is may 31, 2014 Now it says for 9pm A Crush On You will be on. at 9pm. Im very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coco, it aired on the Hallmark Movie Channel. That's why you aren't seeing it on the regular Hallmark Channel. Sorry for your disappointment.

      As I shared with Jill above, it will air August 23, 2014 on the Hallmark Channel.

      Delete
    2. what song was played in your wedding, please I can not get the songs played, thank you

      Delete
    3. Working together by Peter Allen, et al.

      Delete
  7. I loved the movie last night. What is the song the family sing while setting table and getting dinner ready?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to find it as well. No luck with Google searches.

      Delete
    2. I just received an e-mail from a grandmother who would like to have the lyrics of the song to teach it to her grandchildren.

      She called it the "Things get done when you're working together" song.

      If anyone could share the lyrics, I know she would appreciate it very much.

      Delete
    3. Written by Peter Allen and Ann Wheeler, and David Hudgins. Lyrics...Things get done when you're working together. Give it all ya got and add some fun for good measure. If you need a hand then I think it's much better cuz things get done when you're workin', workin' together. Workin' together yeah. I'm tryin' to do it on my own, work my fingers to the bone, doing my very best, but it's hard......then you stepped up to my side, felt so good I almost cried, there's nothing else that I can do, so step aside I'm comin' through. Things get done when you're workin' together, give it all ya got and have some fun for good measure. If you need a hand then I think it's much better, cuz things get done when you're workin', workin' together.

      Delete
    4. Things get done when you're working together. Give it all ya got and add some fun for good measure. If you need a hand it's much better cuz things get done when you're workin', workin' together. Workin' together yeah. I tried to do it on my own, workin' my fingers to the bone, doing my very best, but it's hard. Then you stepped up to my side, felt so good I almost cried, there's nothin' that I can't do, so step aside I'm comin' through. Things get done when you're workin' together. Give it all ya got and add some fun for good measure. If you need a hand, then I think it's much better. Cuz things get done when you're workin', workin' together.

      Delete
    5. Connie, Bless you for sharing the lyrics of this sweet song from "The Color of Rain."

      I know so many people will be blessed by you adding this song information here. Each time I watch this movie - my heart is warmed by the incredible love of this family.

      Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us! :)

      Delete
  8. I loved the movie last night. It was a little hard to watch at certain scenes because we lost my Mom ONE year ago TODAY. What is the song the family sings while getting dinner ready and onthe table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope the movie was a comfort to you and gave you a special time to reflect on memories of your Mother.

      I do not know the song, sung by the family at the table, but it was certainly well-liked by many. I hope we can find out!

      Delete
  9. Can't wait to watch this movie!! The preview looked wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a counselor I am glad to see a family movie that shows the issues of moving on after the death of a mate/parent. I love the part about growing a new heart and keeping the old love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does anyone know how to get the song- All the Colors of the Rainbow that was sung during the wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I'd also like to find the song All the Colors of the Rainbow that was in the movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. still looking for the song..all the colors of the rainbow that played at the end of the movie during their wedding?? did you ever find it?

      Delete
    2. I Will Testify To Love by Avalon is the song!

      Delete
  13. Twice now, I have tried to watch this movie on the Hallmark channel as stated that it would be shown but both times that I put it on the channel at the time the movie should have started, its not on. Something else is. In May, Elevator Girl was showing in the time slot that The Color of Rain was to be on then it happened again June 26, 2014. What's going on? Why isn't Hallmark Channel showing it when they say it would be on? Confused. I really enjoy watching Lacey Chabert's movies. Would like to have seen this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Color of Rain has only been shown on the Hallmark Movie Channel, so if you are looking for it on the regular Hallmark Channel that is why you are not finding it.

      The movie is quite touching, so I do hope they will show it on both stations for more viewers to see it.

      Delete
    2. Update to comment above: The Color of Rain will be shown on the regular Hallmark Channel on August 23rd.

      Delete
  14. What was the name of the poem and poet that was referenced in this movie?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What was the name of the poem or the poet quoted in this movie? I loved the quote but can not remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is this going to be on the Hallmark Channel in August. You listed it above, but I wanted to be sure since I don't have their movie channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this will be on the regular Hallmark Channel on Saturday August 23rd at 6 PM est.

      Delete
    2. UPDATE - to time listed above! The Color of Rain will now air on August 23rd at 9 PM est, following the first showing of Cedar Cove.

      Delete
  17. Can someone tell me what song they are singing during the campfire scene? Thank you. I appreciate your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "My Paddle's Keen and Bright." More information (and the lyrics) is in this article about a similar song. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_Silver_Birch

      Delete
  18. Please help me find the song that is played at the wedding scene. The chorus has "the colors of the rainbow" ... anyone know where I can find it??? TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some songs in movies you may never find because some of them are sung only for the movie also they may not be complete songs

      Delete
  19. It's great movie...but i tried to find the song "All the color of rainbow" but I cant found it .. What is the name of the singer? because I wanna this song

    ReplyDelete
  20. Has anyone successfully found the song from the wedding scene yet? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever find the song from the wedding scene?

      Delete
  21. I have been searching since it aired..cant find it anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sappy story that doesn't accurately reflect loss and grief, imho as mother of 6 whose father died suddenly from a cardiac event. Doesn't begin to do justice to serious subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so truly sorry for your loss. I happened to re-watch this movie yesterday when it was played on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. It is the real life story of Michael and Gina Spehn.

      I know in real life, though it may not have been shown as much in the film, each family went through their own times of intense sadness and grief. That type of reality and emotion could never be depicted in a 2 hour movie. Gina does share with Michael, at one point in the film, how difficult it has been for her and her boys, describing many sleepless nights. Michael also shares that he and his children have been going through much of the same thing.

      Again, I am so sorry for yours and your families difficult, sudden loss.

      Delete
    2. I am living this exact story in my own life. You have no idea how I needed to see it because I've also had people question how fast the bond has formed. It has let me know it's ok to open your heart to another and there is no time limit. We both loved being married and our spouses. Feel very blessed to have found again. Thanks

      I had sudden with my husband there is no time to grieve it's almost a longer grief. When illness I assume grieving during illness. Both stink and unfair but one not worse than the other.

      Delete
    3. To ANONYMOUS who posted 8/2/16:

      The Blog owner expressed herself very well & I do agree, no 2 hour movie, especially on Hallmark, (no criticism meant) could depict the harsh, ugly, grittiness of the death of a spouse - particularly that of a YOUNG one. The ACCURATE portrayal of the rawness of death, loss & grief is best left to pay cable & documentaries. Ive not yet checked out the Spehn's website & I believe they wrote a book about their blended lives. If there is a book, perhaps reading it will give you better insight into both Spehn's individual pain & also how they learned to "turn mourning into dancing" as a new couple & family. Granted, not many widows/widowers are as blessed as they were to almost immediately find a new soulmate & also have the extended members of their 2 families get along so famously. Im sure there's more to their story than what was portrayed in the movie. ☆☆ In closing, I would like to express my condolences to you & your children on your great loss. I pray that you receive comfort, healing & many blessings in the near future.

      Delete
  23. Fantastic post.Never knew this, thank you
    for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looking for the song played at the wedding. I can't seem to find it

    ReplyDelete
  25. Will the movie be shown again soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ging, "The Color of Rain" is shown from time to time; however, I don't see a current listing. If you keep an eye on "The Color of Rain" page at Hallmark a date/time might pop up.

      See "The Color of Rain" page here:
      https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/the-color-of-rain

      Delete
    2. Search Peter Allen on YouTube Rainbows in the Sun

      Delete
  26. Rewatched this gem tonight. I just can't get over how amazing this movie is! -Maria

    ReplyDelete

Please COMMENT and share your thoughts on Movies and More...

You may comment by using an Account, Name, or by choosing Anonymous! (If you pick Name, you can add your name, nickname, initials, or favorite handle! You can also leave the URL space blank, if you do not have a web-site.)

Whatever you choose, I enjoy hearing from you! Blessings, Net