Over *29 Million Clicks* and Counting! Thank *YOU* for being *ONE* of them!

[ HOME ] [ NEW MOVIE TV SCHEDULE 2024 ] [ MOVIE REVIEWS ] [ TV MOVIE LIST ]
[ CHRISTMAS TV SCHEDULE 2024 ] [ CHRISTMAS STORY ] [ CHRISTMAS MOVIE LIST ]
[ CHRISTMAS MOVIES ON DVD - 2023 ] [ TV MOVIES ON DVD - 2024 ] [ CONTACT ]

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights...”
~ James 1:17

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

✍ Writers Guild of America Calls Strike



* Writers on Strike *

Talks of a potential writers' strike have been circulating for months. Could a deal that satisfied all parties involved come to an agreement as the looming deadline drew closer? Apparently, the answer is no since the Writers Guild of America strike became effective as of today (May 2, 2023) at midnight.

What does this mean for the entertainment industry? Well, the late-night TV talk shows will be forced to go on hiatus. Their writers usually write their scripts day-by-day to keep up with daily events, and since they are no longer permitted to work, there will not be any jokes or monologues for their hosts to give. To be honest, I'm not a fan of those shows, so I personally won't miss them.

How will television series and movies be affected...

The last writers' strike shook up the entertainment industry in November of 2007 and lasted until February 2008. According to the AP, "Scripted series and films will take longer to be affected. With a walkout long expected, writers have rushed to get scripts in and studios have sought to prepare their pipelines to keep churning out content for at least the short term."

It's also possible that some production companies could seek out work internationally from writers who are not WGA members. Therefore, it's highly probable they could skirt around the issue for a while, if terms are not agreed to within a reasonable time.

I'm sure Great American Media, Hallmark Media, UPtv, and other networks will make their own statements regarding this and how they plan to proceed with making movies.


Stay tuned!
Net

12 comments:

  1. I hope this will make Hallmark show more older movies then just the same few they show week after week, it’s ridiculous, it’s every week or every other week we are seeing the same ones! ~Susan Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They already are starting to show older Hallmark movies for Christmas in June/July. Northpole: Open For Christmas starring Bailee Madison that premiered in 2015 is airing on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries on Friday June 30th apart of their Gold Crown Christmas movie programming. And that movie usually hardly gets played

      Delete
  2. The few broadcast shows I watch are on CBS. And even though I record them, unless I'm actually really interested in watching them, I find myself wanting to watch something else and put them on the back burner for days or even a couple of weeks sometimes.
    So even if they get delayed with their new Seasons, as long as my very long watch list doesn't run out, I'll basically be fine, as long as they're not cancelled.

    Hallmark's been busy all this year with filming Christmas movies, so I'm sure they won't be affected that much. (if you ask me, they've been putting out way too many Christmas movies the past 2 or 3 years anyway and it's really draining the quality, and it's more then likely to cause burn out)

    It's UP and GAF that have me concerned. What if they have to possibly reduce their planned quotas for Christmas? Or for the rest of this year? I don't want to see them severely impacted by this! They've become the comfort zone that Hallmark used to be for me and I don't want to lose that!

    -Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. All very hard to understand but this is probably why they have been going mad filming Christmas movies in the past few months - Florence

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad WCTH won't be affected. Do you know the reason for the strike??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abigail, It looks like it's mostly financial. From what I've read the key issues in the negotiations are over royalties from DVD sales and residual pay, royalties received for syndicated re-runs. It seems their previous contracts haven't been adjusted since the surge of the streaming industry.

      By the way, I'm also happy about WCTH!!! :)

      Delete
    2. I hope It’s better be Nathan & Elizabeth - WCTH is always about the Mountie & the teacher

      Family of 4 = Nathan, Elizabeth, Allie, & Jack Jr

      Delete
    3. Wait, what?? I stopped watching when she chose Lucas over Nathan (and Allie…). I missed a whole season and figured that’s the end for me. Funny that I would hear otherwise on a comment in Net’s blog. :D Perhaps I should always read the comments, and not just the posts. This is the best community of “my people.”๐Ÿ’›

      Delete
    4. Oh, I think that was only wishful thinking from their perspective. I think there will be some difficulty for Lucas this upcoming season, but I believe he and Elizabeth will still be together.

      Delete
  5. if they buy movies on the market or from producers who pay pennies for scripts (not literally), the quality of the movies will be impacted. plus, some actors/actresses may refuse to cross the picket lines, so the talent pool could be impacted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, Those are such excellent points. I hadn't thought of the possibility of actors and actresses joining the strike in solidarity with the writers. That could make things truly interesting.

      Delete
  6. Stars from TV and film have come out in support of thousands of Writers Guild of America union members who went on strike May 2 after six weeks of negotiations for a new contract with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers reached an unacceptabl stalemate

    Including celebrities

    ReplyDelete

Please COMMENT and share your thoughts on Movies and More...

You may comment by using an Account, Name, or by choosing Anonymous! (If you pick Name, you can add your name, nickname, initials, or favorite handle! You can also leave the URL space blank, if you do not have a web-site.)

Whatever you choose, I enjoy hearing from you! Blessings, Net